|PROPERTY NAME||ORIG. OWNER||NOTES|
|ACTON||Joel Saville||Acton is located just south of Perth Town, on the north side of the road to Duanvale.
The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 468 and the owner as Anne Montague.
|ARCADIA PEN||Hon. William Barrett (1733-1787)||First Custos of Trelawny; buried in Barnstaple Estate|
|BARNSTAPLE||Hon. William Barrett (1733-1787)||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 985 and the owner as Davis Lyon who also owned Holland|
|BARRON HALL||James Easson||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 gives the acreage as 655|
|BELMONT||James Virgo (17471790)||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 854 and the owner as heirs of Rebecca. C. G. Virgo.|
|BERKSHIRE||Richard Brissett||Also owned Hampshire. Was in charge of the newly formed Trelawny parish in 1771/2 until the vestry was elected. He was the first member of the House of Assembly for Trelawny|
|BIDDIFORD||Hugh Barnett||Also owned Hopewell and Sportsman's Hall|
|BLACK GARDEN||Henry Cuniffe||Custos, Founder of the town of Martha Brae.
Also owned Garredu, Holland, Merrywood and Nottingham.
|BOUNTY HALL||John Simpson
who also had an interest in Chester and Tilston
|This was the place where runaway slaves were returned to the British by the Maroons|
|BRACO||Dr Charles Gordon||Also owned 450acres at Williamsfield.|
|BRYAN CASTLE||Bryan Edwards|
|BUNKERS HILL, formerly STUDELY PARK||Thomas Reid||"Bunkers Hill" was a battle between
the Americans and the British in 1775. Whoever renamed the Estate
must have been making a political point!
The Reid family eventually owned six estates in the Parish, including Bunkers Hill, Friendship, Wakefield and Long Pond. The first three are neighbours.
|CAMBRIDGE||Edward Barrett||Founder of Falmouth Town; his brother owned Oxford|
|CARRICK FOYLE||Phillip O'Connor||Carrick, Foyle and O'Connor are all Irish names.|
|CHESHIRE||Jane Spragge (1773)|
|CHESTER||John Simpson (who owned Bounty Hall and Tilston), for Dunn and Kenyon||Still owned by Dunn& Kenyon in 1840, 1066 acres|
|CLERMONT||Dr Vincent McDonald||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 423 and the owner as heirs of Charles Reynolds.|
|COLCHIS PEN||Samuel Graves||996 acres.
Colchis was the setting for Jason and the Argonauts' quest for the fabled Golden Fleece (~1300BC). Colchis is in present-day Georgia.
|CONTENT||Owned by the Stirling family, who also owned Hampden together with Frontier and Keir estates in St James. They may also have owned Friendship (1744-1804)|
|COVEY||Hon. John Tharp (1744-1804)||Custos|
|DROMILLY||Patrick Hanlon (sp?)|
|DRY VALLEY||Robert Minto||562 acres. The adjacent estate is called Water Valley, also owned by Minto|
|DUANVALE||James Campbell, who also owned neighbouring Spotfield (later Kinloss) and, possibly, the area west of Kinloss still known as Campbells|
|DUNDEE||James Stothart (??-1800)|
|ETINGTON||Henry Shirley||Henry Shirley also owned Glamorgan and Hyde Hall.|
|FLAMSTEAD||Thomas Partridge||There are at least three other Flamsteads in Jamaica.|
|FLORENCE HALL||Brady & Barnett|
|FONTABELLE||William Rhodes James (junior)||Also owned Southfield|
|FRIENDSHIP (Reid's)||George Reid & sisters||The Reid family eventually owned six estates in the Parish, including Bunkers Hill, Friendship, Wakefield and Long Pond. The first three are neighbours.|
|FRIENDSHIP (Fowler's)||William Stirling alias Beau Sterling.||Subsequently been owned by James Fowler who owned Grange and Lottery.|
|GALES VALLEY||William Gale||Also owned York (total area of both estates was 3147 acres)|
|GARREDU||Henry Cuniffe||Also owned Black Garden, Holland, Merrywood and Nottingham.|
|GEORGE'S VALLEY||George Robinson Hamilton||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 1577 and the owner as heirs of William Mitchell.|
|GEORGIA||Thomas Gordon||1389 acres|
|GOLDEN GROVE, formerly TERN'S or TERN SPRING||John Jarrett||Also owned Silver Grove and Kent.|
|GOOD HOPE||Hon. John Tharp (1744-1804). Buried at Good Hope|
|GLAMORGAN||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the owner as Henry Shirley who also owned Etingdon and Hyde Hall|
|GRANGE||John Fowler||By 1840 James Fowler owned this estate plus Lottery and Friendship.|
|GRAVESEND||John Grave||The sinister-sounding name's origins are clear! 96 acres and owned by James Graves according to the 1840 J Almanac.|
|GREENFIELD||Jarvis Gallimore (1741-1795)||Was killed by the Maroons in 2nd Maroon War|
|GREEN PARK,formerly Green Pond||William Atherton (1742-1803)|
|GREEN VALE, formerly called PURGATORY||William Albert|
|HACTON||Herbert N. Jarrett,||436 acres. Jarrett also owned Orange Valley. Hacton is located on the east side of the Wakefield to Deeside road.|
|HAGUE||John Hodges||Now the site for the annual Hague Agricultural Show|
|HAMPSHIRE||Richard Brissett||Also owned Berkshire.|
|HAMPSTEAD||Jane Stone||Jane Stone was the slave-wife of Jonathan Barnett. She also owned Retreat|
|HARMONY HALL||John James|
|HAWKERTON PLANTATION||William Guthrie|
|HOLLAND||Henry Cuniffe||Was responsable for creating Lyttelton, later
Martha Brae, village out of the eastern end of Holland.
Also owned Black Garden, Garredu, Merrywood, and Nottingham.
|HOPEWELL||Hugh Barnett||Also owned Biddiford and Sportsman's Hall|
|HYDE||Edward Clarke||The Hyde and Gibraltar properties were acquired by the government in the late 1940's under the Land Settlement Scheme|
|HYDE HALL||Cossley Hall|
|IRVING TOWER||James Irving||900 acres in 1840. Presently owned by Mr Keith Russell|
|JOCK'S LODGE||Adam Cathill||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 519 and the owner as James Minto, who also owned Dry- and Water Valleys|
|JOHNSTON ESTATE||John Watt|
|KENT||John Jarrett||1008 acres
Also owned Golden Grove and Silver Grove.
|KINLOSS, formerly SPOTFIELD||John Campbell
. A Campbell also owned nearby Duanvale and, possibly, the area east of Kinloss still known as Campbells
|The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists this estate with 1499 acres and the owner as George Scott.|
|LANCASTER||Thomas P. Thompson||1257 acres. Thompson also owned Mario Bueno and Vale Royal.|
|LANSQUINET, formerly KEITH HALL||Hon. John Tharp||Transferred to to John Tharp of Hanover on 11 May, 1769 by Thomas Williams and Sarah his wife|
|LINTON PARK||Joseph Linton||2428 acres|
|LONG POND||Richard Haughton Reid||Originally patented to William Reid in 1709. The Reid family (Cols John and Thomas) and sons and daughters eventually owned six estates in the parish, including Bunkers Hill, Friendship, Wakefield and Long Pond. The first three are neighbours..|
|LOTTERY||John Woulfe||The J. Almanac of 1840 listsJames Fowler, who also owned Grange and Friendship.|
|LYSWORNY||James Dyer (??-24/4/1779)|
|MARIO BUENO||Thomas P. Thompson||Also owned Lancaster|
|MAXIFIELD||Dr William Mc'Donald||A man of colour|
|MERRYWOOD||Henry Cuniffe of Killtolla, Galway.||Merrywood is mentioned in the 1862 Stocklist
Also owned Black Garden, Garredu , Holland and Nottingham.
|NIGHTINGALE GROVE||Robert Wilton|
|ORANGE GROVE||John Stogden|
|ORANGE VALLEY||Herbert Newton Jarrett||2338 acres. Jarrett also owned Hacton.
Presently owned by Mr Alec Henderson
|OXFORD||George Barrett||His brother owned Cambridge|
|PANTREPANT||Henry Strudwick (??-1760); by 1776 in hands of Hall, aatorney of St Andrews||Presently owned by Mr Chris Blackwell|
|PERU||James Scarlett||1550 acres|
|POTOSI||Wedderburn and Lyon||Potosi was a fabled silver mine in Bolivia|
|RESERVE||Alexander McLachlan & Lacy Stewart|
|RETREAT||Jane Stone||Also owned Hampstead|
|ROSLIN CASTLE, formerly SHAW CASTLE||Henry M. Wisdon|
|SCHAWFIELD (Was this originally SHAWFIELD?)||Samuel & Charles Shaw (or Schaw?)||There may be a mis-spelling here: the estate was spelled "Shawfield" on the notes I saw and this correspnds to the owners name. But it is definitely SCHAW... on today's maps.|
|SILVER GROVE||John Jarrett||Also owned Golden Grove and Kent|
|SOUTHFIELD||William Rhodes James (1755-1795); W.R. James (junior) owned Fontabelle||Also owned Fontabelle|
|SPORTSMAN'S HALL||Hugh Barnett||Also owned Biddiford and Hopewell|
|SPOTFIELD, at least part of which is now known as KINLOSS||John Campbell
who also owned nearby Duanvale and, possibly, the area east of Kinloss still known as Campbells
|The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists this estate with 1499 acres and the owner as George Scott.|
|SPRING||Edward Knowles||This gave its name to Spring Hill (on main road
between Duncans and Falmouth).
The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists a Spring Hill with 25 acres and owned by John Russell.
|STEELFIELD||Dr Thomas Steel||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists the acreage as 1177 and the owner as James S. Lawson.|
|STEWART CASTLE||James Stewart||His son founded Stewart Town|
|STEWARTON||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists this estate with1371 acres and the owner as R. W. & S Mitchell,|
|STONEHENGE||Rev. Joseph Stoney||Well, he couldn't call it "Stoney Ground", could he?|
|SWANSWICK||G. M. Clarke|
|TILSTON||John Simpson, who also owned Bounty Hall and had an interest in Chester.||2197 acres|
|TYRE||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists John McLimont, as owning 2350 acres at TYRE|
|ULSTER SPRING||William Frater (1781-1839)||1550 acres|
|UNITY||William Stevenson||Sold to John Tharpe in 1778 but the Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists Edmund Francis Green as owning1863acres at Unity|
|VALE ROYAL, formerly WALKY WALKY||Charles Graves||The Jamaica Almanac of 1840 lists this estate with 612 acres and the owner as heirs of Thos, P Thompson.|
|WAKEFIELD||John Reid||The Reid family eventually owned six estates in the Parish, including Bunkers Hill, Friendship, Wakefield and Long Pond. The first three are neighbours.|
|WALES||John Tharp||Presently owned by the Muschett family|
|WATER VALLEY||William Virgo||1526 acres. The adjacent estate is called "Dry Valley" and by 1840 the Jamaica Almanac lists the owner of both as James Minto: he also owned Jocks Lodge|
|WESTON FAVEL||Catherine Harding|
|WINDSOR||Joseph Hardy||Presently owned by Michael Schwartz|
|YORK||William Gale||Also owned Gale's Valley|